Here are the final results. Tiebreakers were Strength of Schedule and then sum of net TD and net Cas.
Congratulations to the winners!
Here are the final results. Tiebreakers were Strength of Schedule and then sum of net TD and net Cas.
Congratulations to the winners!
Using the existing Halfling Scribe spreadsheet, I’ve put the Khorne and Bretonnian races in, all ready for the 2018 season! Also update for DZ1 and DZ2.
NAF committee meeting 3rd December 2017
Present: Paul, Nate, Mike, Torsten
Apologies: Manuel, Gavin
1. Website update
We’re in the final stages now, the final stage is a live stats page to complement that done by Doubleskulls.
2. World Cup
A team of referees is being put together of many nationalities, headed up by Old Man Draco and Old Man Monkey, and pitches and teams are well in hand! See the website for full details going forward. The Miniature team will be revealed at the Dungeonbowl 2018 and it will be heading on a World Tour as a promotion for the World Cup. The Tour Dates and Tournaments where it will show up will be announced at the Dungeonbowl as well. The official World Cup Pitch will be revealed at the NAF Championship 2018.
3. The 24-26
New patches are being ordered for the 24 and the +2.
Patches can be bought if people have the old one and want the new one, otherwise supplied by the NAF.
For the new patches, at least 3 games with each race will be required, of any tabletop kind.
4. Membership Director update
Planning is beginning on the 2018 gift. Exciting!
5. Election all good to go
6. Thanks to Mike from the Committee for 2 years of Presidency.
Next meeting – in 2018!
It is time to start the election for our next President. All debate etc will take place on the NAF forum, starting with this thread: https://member.thenaf.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7118
The time-table will be as follows:
– 7 Dec – nominations start
– 16 Dec – nominations end and Q&A start
– 23 Dec – voting start
– 30 Dec– election ends and the new President is elected
There will be separate threads for both Nominations, Q&A and the final election. Aside of this there will be a thread where all discussion on the nominees, the questions and the answers can take place.
For the record, the role of the NAF President from the latest NAF Charter:
President (Elected Position)
Directs NAF strategy and planning
Serves as liaison between members and officers
Serves as liaison between outside organization and NAF
Fulfills duties of other officers if absent from meetings or events
Reviews regular reports from other officers and offers direction
Sets meeting agenda items
Lots of little bits going on today, for TOs mostly to be aware of, so a quick blog post to make it easy to share:
I think that’s it for the moment, more over the weekend I expect!
Present: Mike, Paul, Torsten, Nate, Gavin
Significant improvements continue to be made to the database, and there are more imminent. The online registration is now fixed, having been broken for a while, and the coach page now contains more information.
We discussed changing the names of the races so that they were consistently singular or plural, and so that GW Dwarfs were used instead of Dwarves, but as this would involve updating a number of different uploading tools the costs were felt to outweigh the benefits.
Portugese Eurobowl paid back their loan.
Outstanding loan of £8k to Welsh Eurobowl and 8k Euros to the World Cup.
The update with new goblin and pact positionals is nearly ready, and is in the final stages testing with the NAF site. Gav will also look into whether the old Wizard will still be available.
Nate has commissioned new 24/26 patches and we are getting costings from the US and Europe for these.
Some coaches would like to abstain from having their games recorded in particular tournaments. This is not allowed – if you have been a NAF member then you should supply your NAF name and number when playing in a NAF tournament.
World Cup report
Torsten had sought feedback from those who attended Eurobowl about what lessons could be taken forward to the World Cup. WC App will probably be available end of 2018 for other tourneys to use and test.
The election for NAF President is coming up. These are the important dates:
9 Dec – nominations start
16 Dec – nominations end and Q&A start
23 Dec – voting start
30 Dec– election ends and the new President is elected
3rd December, 2030 CET
OK, so this is quite an emotional moment for me. Not up there with my wedding, or the birth of my children, but in terms of Blood Bowl this is alongside reffing at the World Cup or winning my first tournament (both good things). This is why I am indulging myself by writing a personal post on the NAF site (something I’ve mostly avoided).
About 5 years ago I got seriously involved in the NAF as Media Officer, having been a member since March 2007, and I got involved because i wanted to make it better. One of the big improvements I was keen on was the website, and I was really pleased when the WordPress version of the site came along, and i was able to gather as much BB-related info in one place as i could. It has its critics, but I believe it is the best portal to BB content that there is.
Anyway, the other was a longer time coming, which was to make the Members Area something more, and we’re now pretty much there. We have Online tournaments being added, and today the new-look Coach Page is unveiled, with a record of tournament success, and bringing into the open items such as Head to Head, which has been there forever but only if you have known where to look.
So big thanks to Tiago from IE Solutions, who has been working with the NAF on this, and has delivered the Variant rankings, fixed the online sign up, along with a load of other stuff that had been “not-quite-right” ever since i became involved with the NAF.
There are more developments to come, but this is a significant change, and I wanted to celebrate it. So lastly, if you have won any awards, please nag your TOs to log on, go to the Tournament, click Edit, scroll down then add your names. It’s that simple. I’m off to add the Majors (not that I’ve won any, grumble grumble…)
Tournaments will be allowed to include these as official races from 1st January 2018, but this will be up to the individual Tournament Organiser. The inclusion or exclusion of these races does not affect the sanctioning of a tournament.
Until this time the current situation will continue, which is that they can be included in tournaments but their games will not be recorded in the database.
The NAF Committee will at some point review whether they should become compulsory races for NAF sanctioning. No decision has been made on this.
Thank you to ManticoreRich for the shiny version of the document, which also contains a FAQ following feedback received after the vote result.
Out of the 3600 members eligible to vote, we had 803 votes for the 4 options (22.5% turnout), with around 10 blank votes, though these are not shown in the results.
|Khorne and Bretonnian||556|
There will be an extraordinary committee meeting in the next few days to decide on the implementation, which will also depend on getting any necessary technological changes made to the database.
Thanks to everyone who voted, and watch this space!
NAF Committee: 10th September 17
Present: Mike, Torsten, Paul
Apologies: Nate, Gavin, Manuel
The bulk of the adjustments to the database are complete, and from now on it will be cosmetic improvements, such as being easier to find who has won particular tournaments. The activation process also needs fixing, along with some minor tweaks.
Torsten’s Excel based software was used at the German Team Bowl with few problems, and will be used at the World Cup, with as many tournaments before then as possible to iron out any remaining bugs.
More dice and tokens are being ordered as the 2017 gift has proved very popular.
President election will begin at the end of November. Mike will not be standing again.
New races vote
Torsten to set up asap – will be 2 questions with Khorne yes/no, Bretonnian yes/no if possible. Otherwise 4 options: Both, Khorne, Brets, Neither.
Next meeting – TBC
The effect of this could be that eventually to be a NAF-sanctioned tournament these races would need to be allowed to be included, although as with the BB2016 rules a period of flexibility will be available, and they are likely to be optional for a good amount of time, but will be able to be added to the database.
The vote will be non-binding, but will hopefully (if enough people vote) give an idea on whether this is something that the membership wants.
There has been vigorous discussion on the NAF forum so far, and you are encouraged to have a read and join in before casting your vote!
You will be able to say whether you want Khorne, Brets, both, or neither added to the database.
It is worth noting that the NAF committee is neutral on this – it is something that various people have been asking for over a number of years, and it is only now that the work has been done on the database to make it possible. This is the cause of the timing, which might seem strange otherwise with the release of BB2016.
Here is the link for voting: https://member.thenaf.net/zikula/index.php?module=NAF&type=election&electionid=9
End time is 20.00 CET on 30th September.
Latest update on the rankings!
Integrating the Online tournaments is still a work in progress, and more will be done in September. There are some things to be aware of:
Top 4 as shown below!
|2||Team 3||Chaos Dwarf||Rubick||13||10||–||5||21||–||13|
|4||You Know My Team Oon||Norse||Oon||13||8||–||4||12||–||17|
|5||Da Seaorcs N||Orc||Gimli01||12||7||–||5||7||–||5|
|6||The Little Sh*ts of Dumb Girk||Orc||MonkeyTrumpet||12||7||–||5||15||–||9|
|7||Natural Horn Killers||Chaos Pact||peterd||12||7||–||2||24||–||9|
|8||One Trick Cajones||Underworld||Twelfman||12||9||–||3||14||–||24|
|9||You Know My Team||Norse||Funny Valentine||11||7||–||4||22||–||12|
|10||Maximum Impact||Chaos Pact||Hawk||11||10||–||6||20||–||14|
|15||You Know My Team||Norse||Pedro||10||8||–||7||16||–||18|
|17||Team 4||High Elf||ddark||10||17||–||11||16||–||14|
|19||Bacon on a String||Skaven||scs.sam||9||14||–||11||9||–||27|
|21||You Know My Team||Norse||Budmilka||9||8||–||5||24||–||16|
|22||Team 5||Pro Elf||Tank15||9||13||–||5||6||–||18|
|25||Euro’ll Gonna Die||Undead||Sann0638||8||7||–||7||25||–||14|
|26||Uncanny Ex-Men||Necromantic Undead||Fallingdownjoe||8||6||–||5||15||–||17|
|29||Orange is the new Block||Ogre||scotthabanero||8||7||–||6||18||–||25|
|30||What the Hell am I Doing?||Ogre||Merrick||7||6||–||7||16||–||29|
|31||Team Name||Chaos Dwarf||Giraffe||7||5||–||4||13||–||8|
|32||Team 6 N||Amazon||Johnberwyn||7||5||–||9||13||–||19|
|34||The Rotten Ravens N||Nurgle Rotters||Sharky||6||5||–||7||15||–||15|
|35||Spoon Collectors||Pro Elf||Legolas||6||4||–||9||3||–||26|
|36||Class of 2017 N||Goblin||Azlann||6||5||–||12||24||–||21|
|38||Horns of Numon||Chaos||Mr_Frodo||6||6||–||10||13||–||22|
|39||Blatant Plague-arism 1||Underworld||Thor87||5||5||–||11||18||–||19|
|40||See, They are Painted||Norse||Portsmouth||5||7||–||9||22||–||20|
|41||Blatant Plague-arism 2||Underworld||Landrover||5||6||–||9||15||–||17|
|44||Sands of Time||Khemri||Ninjagosplat||4||6||–||10||21||–||9|
|45||You Know My Team||Norse||Laraigne||4||2||–||10||27||–||14|
|47||Facehuggers Reunited N||Lizardman||Sabellida||4||5||–||9||10||–||23|
|50||11 Angry Dwarfs N||Dwarf||BDOW||0||0||–||13||6||–||9|
Following the previous Rankings post, a fair amount of testing has gone on getting the rankings working, so thank you to everyone who has been patient with the various iterations. We think we’re there now!
So, some points to be aware of:
The development team is now taking a break fro the rest of August, but there will be some exciting developments coming in September. Watch this space!
And if you spot any problems, please do comment below…
As mentioned in the last few NAF minutes, there is a lot of work being done on the NAF rankings, which is causing some instability at the moment. Some games are missing from people’s profiles, and the numbers will occasionally change. Please do bear with us until this work is completed, and rest assured that the numbers will return to normal once the work has completed.
This is primarily due to Variants rankings being introduced, including an Online ranking from the NAF Online tournaments, which has caused a few unforeseen consequences. Initially the testing was done in a parallel version of the database, but sometimes it takes lots of testers to spot mistakes, so thank you to everyone for your vigilance!
This will also allow us to add bits to the coach page later in the project. If you have ideas for what would be good on there, let me know.
Updates will appear primarily here or on NAF social media, so please do check in if you have any questions. I’m leading on the project, and am very happy to answer them!
Meeting held on Skype on 23rd July 2017
Present: Mike (sann0638, President), Paul (geggster, Treasurer), Torsten (tojurub, VP), Nate (gaixo, TD), Gavin (Valen, LD)
League Director handover
– Welcome to Gavin and thanks to Jonas (RoterSternHochDahl)
– Congratulations to Gavin for the winning the election
– Work on the rankings continues, with incorporating variants, including specifically online games. This has caused some interim clashes between the rankings in various places, so would be grateful if Members would be patient in the meantime while these are sorted out (hopefully this week)
– The “recover password” was working, but has now stopped working completely unfortunately. We are concentrating on getting the rankings finished, then will get this working again. In the meantime password recovery is being done manually.
– For each tournament, it is now possible to put in the winner, runner-up, most TD, most Casualties and Stunty Cup winner. We will be asking Tournament Organisers past and present to fill this information in. This is quite a challenge of course, given 2500 tournaments over 15 years so please bear with those tasked with this. The aim is that this information will appear on a revised coach page, showing the tournament record of an individual coach. Watch this space for more information!
– The Spanish community (and possibly others) are keen to still be allowed to use CRP in tournaments, for example not to have to include the new goblin positionals.
– While we do recognise this position, we do feel that the changes to CRP are very small, so would encourage everyone to consider carefully whether it is worth having different sets of rules in operation. For example, in two years we want everyone to be using the same rules for the World Cup.
– If a particular TO is considering not being NAF sanctioned due to the new NAF rules, please do contact your local Co-ordinator, or Nate directly, to discuss this.
– The other problem that people have with the new rules is the frequency of changes. We have no reason to expect more than one Death Zone per year going forward, so this is the likely frequency of NAF changes, and again seems reasonable.
– With the new rules for Grak and Crumbleberry, TOs may want to include these stars in their tournament rules pack, that is their individual choice, as previously.
– Before the next Death Zone, NAF committee will consult with NTOs regarding what the individual communities think about the new rules, before deciding about the next version of NAF tournament rules. This will also include getting feedback about how previous rules are working in practice.
– We discussed making it mandatory for people to be NAF members to play in NAF tournaments, but did not want to do anything to discourage people playing in tournaments.
– This included allowing free membership, without the gift, for those who had not joined before.
– We would encourage people to include the £5 in the rules pack, as usually people are happy to sign up when told that it includes some dice and/or a token.
– If people do not want their games recorded, that is their prerogative.
– Next two Eurobowl organisers have been lent funds, and the World Cup Organisers are now asking for an advance. We are continuing to keep track on the NAF cash flow.
– Viagra removed from the League Locator (Mike to make Valen an admin on thenaf.net)
– NAF Facebook group for League Commissioners, with at least one admin from each language speaker. Will be opened up to more people in future.
– Handover of OBBLM will happen in the next few days.
– Nothing not previously discussed
World Cup Report
– Discussion of the rules, which will be published at least a year in advance of the tournament
– Updates about the World Cup will be posted on the NAF forum, Facebook and the official website (in 5 languages) at www.nafworldcup.sbbm-turniere.com/
– Torsten has developed a scoring spreadsheet for use during the tournament
Bretonnians and Khorne
– We recognise the feedback given following the last set of minutes.
– The vote about including these races in the database will take place with a deadline of the end of September, with plenty of time for discussion beforehand, including getting the win percentages from Cyanide.
– The vote will be a guide for NAF committee to make the decision, rather than a majority binding vote. We would hope that a substantial number of people would vote, and if there is a substantial majority one way or another that makes the decision easier, but otherwise it is another element of the decision.
– The vote will take place in the same way as NAF elections.
– Another batch of this year’s membership gift needed. Reroll counter very popular and lots of new players. more BB players. Torsten and Manuel to decide amount.
– 10th September, 2030 CET
What can I expect at my first Blood Bowl Tournament?
I was really honoured to be invited to write an article for the NAF about advice for new tournament coaches… is how I’d like to start this article.
Myself (and Merrick) at Elflympics. Think this was about four GFIs into his spot prize-winning ten GFIs attempt!
Unfortunately, I wasn’t asked, I just figured, five tournaments in, there were some things I’d learnt that I would have probably benefitted from knowing before I went to my first NAF tournament, so I shoved this article in front of the NAF webmonkeys.
Why am I qualified to write such an article? Well, I’m not qualified, I’ve only been playing for about a year, which kind of makes me qualified by default, I suppose!
Across the various Blood Bowl forums and groups there are often requests from new coaches for advice and guidance about how to approach their first tournament experience. Mostly, these are “what roster should I take to <insert tournament name here> next weekend?”, which this article definitely doesn’t cover. With only thirty-three NAF ranked games under my belt, all I can tell you, so far, is that giving a human lineman Thick Skull probably isn’t going to bag you the top spot when the prizes are being dished out. The more interesting “what should I…” posts, for me, are from people who are a little apprehensive about tournament etiquette and what to expect, beyond the games they’re going to play.
Some of us may have played lots of different games systems before Blood Bowl caught our attention. All of those systems (Warhammer 40,000, Magic: The Gathering, Pokémon, Age of Sigmar, X-Wing etc.) can be played competitively, which means you can probably find tournaments supporting that competitive gameplay across the world. Different games systems bring different types of player, resulting in different tournament atmosphere. For me, the very few Friday night Magic: The Gathering tournaments I went to were a real baptism of fire, so I stopped going. Disclaimer: Others’ mileage of M:tG may (and definitely will) vary. One thing that seems to be a universal truth with Blood Bowl though, is that it has one of the most welcoming tournament scenes of most table top games. It’s an easy game to play, but a tough game to play well. The term ‘beer and pretzels’ seems to have been created to fit Blood Bowl perfectly.
If a negative experience at other games systems’ tournaments makes you wary of trying a Blood Bowl event, I’d implore you to take the risk, you’re really missing out!
Hawca (UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF) and Kfoged, this year’s NAF Championship winner
So, what advice would I have given myself, before I rolled my first Blood Bowl tournament dice against Hawca at CakeBowl 6 (I lost 3-1, he was playing Wood Elves and I probably scored my consolation touchdown by accident!)?
My logic: I’m new. I want to learn all the skills as quickly as I can, so I’ll just take thirteen different skills (inc. the aforementioned Thick Skull!) and I can see them all in action, at once. I won’t need to playtest this, I’ll be all-knowing by the end of day one, I’m a genius!
My reality: Nightmare. I literally ran out of different coloured bands to distinguish who had what and spent most games looking at my own roster. Keep it simple.
Foul Bowl dice. I found they developed a guilty conscience when it came to rolling fouls with them!
Set yourself a realistic aim before your tournament begins. ‘Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women’ might the first turning on the road to disappointment, but scoring a touchdown each game? Winning one game to begin with? Those aren’t beyond the realms of possibility.
Tournament play isn’t for everyone; some people prefer the occasional pick-up game, or the story that unfolds over an entire season, but tournaments are a great way to meet local coaches and those that aren’t afraid to travel for their fix. There’s always something to laugh about once the dice have finished rolling. Hey, even the last place coach gets to take some form of cutlery home as a ‘prize’!
One final thing, if you’re reading this and aren’t a member already, consider joining the NAF. Membership means your results are logged and tracked against other coaches, so you can see who your bitter rivals are, even after 100s of ranked games. You can also find forums and members areas with useful resources to help new and existing coaches – including upcoming tournament calendars. There’s also annual gifts for signing-up, or renewing, and clearly we all love new toys!
The 2017 NAF gift: two dice and one counter (shown both sides) for signing up or renewing
If all else fails when you sit down opposite your opponent for that first round match-up, just roll sixes and Pows all the time, unless you’re playing me. With that said, if you end up playing me, you probably didn’t roll enough sixes and Pows in your previous game(s)!
Jip (NAF Number: 22172), currently coaching in the SAWBBL.
Further developments on the NAF website!
The main (and default) “Variant” is still “Blood Bowl”, and so the vast majority of games in the database will not be affected, but we now have a world #1 Sevens coach, and so on as well!
NB: This is still in development, so there may be some error-testing still needed.
This is also the first stage in adding the Online games from the Fumbbl NAF tournaments, and these will be uploaded soon, with “Online” being an additional Variant.
There is a small amount of manual work needed to implement the Online tournaments, as we need to populate a table matching NAF nicknames and Fumbbl nicknames. This will be done electronically in the future, but if you would like to help, do let sann know (comment below…)
The individual coach page is still in development to show this change.
Date: 28th May
Paul absent for first discussion, all others present.
League Director Election
The LD election is due – we will have 2 weeks for nominations, 2 weeks for discussion, 1 week for voting. A specification of the job will be posted alongside.
Update on website
– It is now possible to include new races in the rankings. There will be a referendum after the League Director election on whether Khorne and Bretonnians should be added.
– A face lift for the site would be helpful to show that there are new features.
– It would be helpful to be able to filter by rulebook. One way to do this would be to have more detailed W/D/L analysis available, rather than rankings in themselves.
– Once the variants filter is in place, the Blood Bowl ranking will not be affected by Dungeonbowl, Sevens, Online etc.
Paul joined the meeting:
– Portugese Eurobowl organising team (2017) have been given a loan
– Welsh Eurobowl organising team (2018) have been given a loan
– Payments have been made for the website developments
– Balance has reduced a lot as a result,
– big increase in renewals as well
– Reiterated that renewals cost 5 of most currencies in face to face to keep the sums easy
Gifts and Trophies update
Torsten delivered trophies to US. Torsten/Manuel to email the NTOs explaining the distribution network. Australia and New Zealand have had theirs sent out. Torsten will keep an inventory of supplies. Committee will reiterate that you get one reroll token per renewal, so that we don’t run out.
World Cup update
The SBBM are becoming an association. The team is under production, as are the pitches, and the rules are under discussion. Registrations will begin October 2018.
Reaction to rules in Death Zone 2
– 80k wizard is problematic, possibly too good. Allowed but not recommended.
– Optional goblins until the end of July, then beginning of August new stars and rosters are mandatory.
Allocation of Majors
– Discussion of which tournaments should be Majors, this will be kept under review, including if there could be a Major in South America.
Date of next meeting
23rd July, same time.